The unofficial larb eatery

From Ghetto to Gourmet, from Pabst to Perignon, EatFiend is where you will find pictures of food, skateboarding, the ways of the Almighty Larb and drunken ramblings about pictures of food.

Thursday, March 28, 2013

EatFiend @ Sabuku Sushi

Haven't had sushi in a while, so naturally I was excited to go to this place...
Sabuku Sushi is located on 3027 Adams Avenue, San Diego CA 92116
 When we walked in we were greeted by the owner and he seemed very happy just to have us!
 As we warmed up to the place with a couple of Sapporo's ($7 for a large bottle), I took inventory of the joint.
As any good sushi bar is, you have the option to sit at a table or sit at the bar. We sat at the bar and the stools were very comfortable. I looked at their menu and was kind of bummed that there were no pictures of their sushi, but then my attention was drawn to the flatscreen on the wall displaying pictures of the fine sushi they had to offer.
It was currently happy hour, which I think is on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
They had a few items from their menu that I cannot remember, but I did order the "buku bites" which consisted of shitake mushrooms stuffed with spicy tuna, spicy crab & cream cheese, tempura battered and fried, served over a ponzu butter sauce. Only $5, the perfect appetizer. 
 Rice and edamame are mandatory everytime I eat sushi.
 My old lady isn't too big on sushi, but thats okay. The menu also offers non-fish options.
Here is one of their "cooked up creations", the "kabob roll" ($17 and well worth it). Inside is filet mignon, chicken teriyaki, grilled red onion & zucchini. Sauces include sweet mandarin, spicy ginger aioli & sriracha with toppings that were scallions & kuro goma. Whatever the hell it was it was damn good, you know I had to sample it!
And since I myself am a fan of spicy tuna I was drawn to their "Tenaciously Tuna" portion of the menu. Fuck it, why not order the most expensive item they had, the "red apple" ($19).
The red apple consisted of spicy tuna & tempura green onion on the inside, more tuna on the outside, with spicy diced scallops, spicy tuna & crab sprinkled with lots of tempura crunchies and drizzled sriracha. I love me some hot sauce!

When was all said and done our tab was $60 and change and we left happy with full belly's. 
We also noticed on our receipt that if we went to the Air Conditioned lounge around the corner and presented our receipt, we'd get %30 off our first round! Awesome!

I also took note that there was insulation on the ceiling to help absorb sound and the joint had low level music (not some trendy DJ spinning shitty music you don't want to hear). I personally appreciate this because I hate screaming just to have a conversation when I'm dining.

EatFiend

-Sgt.Baconator

No comments :

Post a Comment